“Life without love is like a tree without blossoms or fruit.”

"Love has no other desire but to fulfill itself. To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night. To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving.”


~Kahlil Gibran on love

Sunday, May 23, 2010

My Sassy Girl


When anyone mentioned about her name- Jeon Ji Hyun( Korean artist), what is the first thing crossed you mind? I think she will remind most of you about the unreasonable yet lovely girlfriend in the famous Korean movie- My sassy girl in year 2001.



The Blockbuster movie My Sassy Girl (Yeop Gi Jug In Gue Nyuh) which starred Jeon Ji Hyun and Cha Tae Hyun was based on a series of true stories posted by Kim Ho Sik( his blog ID called Gyeon Woo)on the internet describing his relationship with his girlfriend. These were later transformed into a best-selling book and the movie follows the book closely.

The film tells the story of a male college student, Gyeon-woo (Cha Tae-Hyun), and the Girl (Jun Ji-hyun) who is never named in the movie. Gyeon-woo just cannot seem to catch a romantic break. His prospects are so pathetic that even his mother tries to help. At the train station on his way to his aunt's, he observes a girl, drunk, standing precariously close to the edge of the train platform as the train approaches; he pulls her to safety just in time.

Inside the train, Gyeon-woo cannot help but stare at the girl wavering back and forth. He is slightly attracted to her but repulsed by her drunkenness. Finally, she throws up on a passenger and faints but not before she calls Gyeon-woo "honey". The passenger aggressively chides Gyeon-woo and tells him to take care of his girlfriend. Gyeon-woo, completely flustered, carries her all the way to the nearest hotel. Once he helps her, Kyun-woo develops a deep sense of responsibility for her which enables him to tolerate (somehow) the girls abuses.



Actually it is a funny yet sad movie but somehow surprisingly it is a happy ending at the end of story. The most touching part in the movie is the part Gyeon-woo read the letter planted under the tree after 2 years they apart.

Here is the content of the letter...



Gyeon-woo! How are you?
I was so happy while being with you.
I'm not sure if you knew, but the person I loved passes away.

The day when I first met you was the day he died a year ago.
Actually, I tried to look for him in you
I know it was wrong. I'm sorry.
I also met him on the subway like you.
I was really sick at that time.
He did everthing I wanted like you did to me.


Under this tree, we planed our future together.
But he suddenly passes away.
While I was dating you, I met his mother often.
She wanted to introduce a nice man to me but I couldn't
The day I first met you, I came under the tree and I prayed for him
To let me free.
When I met you, this occured to me.
That maybe...he introduced you to me.
But the more I met you, he seemed to give jealous of you in me.
the more I liked you, I felt guilty in side.
while the two of us are apart,
I want to forget him alone.



Finally it was time for her to meet her ex-boyfriend's mother. And it was also the time that Gyunwoo would finally go to his aunt. Finally years after, they met again and realized that they were really meant for each other.


This movie simply make both ends meet. Everything that happens in this movie has a reason and is somehow connected to everything that happens on the scenes that follow. I would really recommend this movie to lovers, hopeless romantics and the like. It really will capture the attention of every viewer who watches it. And if you think that this movie doesn't deserve to have five stars, then there is something wrong with you.

Well done sassy girl!

0 comments:

Post a Comment